How to Back Up and Restore XenServer⚓
As of 8/22/21, I'm no longer using XCP-NG. This information is being left as reference material, but should be considered outdated and/or inaccurate.
This article describes how to back up and restore XenServer.
When you back up servers in XenCenter, note the following points:
- You must not create the backup on the XenServer control domain (domain 0). "Control domain" and "domain 0" are not being used.
- Server backup files might be very large.
- You might have to restart with the original install CD to complete a restore.
To back up XenServer, complete the following procedure:
- Select the server in the Resources pane, go to Server menu, and click Back Up Server.
- Browse and locate the folder where you want to create the backup file and enter the filename. Click Save to begin the backup process. Note: Click the Logs tab to view the backup progress.
To restore a server, complete the following procedure:
- Select and restore the backup file within XenCenter using Server > Restore from Backup.
- Restart the server from the XenServer installation CD to complete the restore.
See https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX118547 for additional information.